The holidays are around the corner, and if you have a child of any age in school, the question always arises of what to get the teacher(s) that is molding your lil’ one’s brain when you’re not around. Since some of my closest friends are teachers, I went straight to the source to find out what they liked receiving, and some of the things they wished they’d never have to receive again.
Best Gifts for Teachers
1. Gift Cards! – Starbucks, Dunkin, Staples, or Target – All acceptable. This one came up first the most with my teacher friends.
Check out this cute way to personalize a coffee gift card:
2. A Spa Gift Certificate – Who doesn’t love a little pampering.
3. Personalized Stationary – Teachers are always writing notes to students or parents, so this is a nice idea if you want to gift something for a specific teacher.
4. Supplies for the Classroom – Crayons, markers, glue. They all work! Or you can get real creative and throw something like this together:
You can check out the tutorial on how to make this HERE!
5. A Small Potted Plant or Mini Terrarium – Fresh, live plants can spruce up any room, whether it be in the classroom or in their living room. Plus, there are a ton of benefits to having plants indoors.
6. Donation to a Charity (in their name, or the classroom’s name) – If you know of a charity that is near and dear to their heart, this really is a wonderful gift to give.
7. The New Yorker Book of Teacher Cartoons – A great read for any teacher (though, some have mentioned that it is a bit more relatable for the elementary teacher set), that covers all the emotions, and ups and downs, of being the person that shapes our youths’ minds.
8. Last, but definitely not the least in meaning, A Letter or Card from the Heart – Everyone wants to know they have done well, and are appreciated, so what better way then to just tell them. Whether you write the letter, or your lil’ one writes it, this gesture is guaranteed to be kept for years to come. Also, if you want to take it a step further, you could even send a copy of the letter to the principal!
Now that I have gone over the best (most wanted) gifts for teachers, I must also mention what the worst gifts you could get for them.
1. Anything with the Apple Motif
3. Stuffed Animals
4. Coffee Mugs
5. Cookies/Baked Items
6. Soaps and Bath Products
7. Inspirational Teaching Trinkets
Just keep in mind that they have a bunch of students, and a bunch more each coming year. Much of the things on the worst list just get stored and never used (and living in NYC, you know how precious storage space is!). They appreciate the thought put into baked goods, but that was always on the list of things they didn’t want for reason of being on a diet/trying to be healthy, or not entirely feeling comfortable eating things baked in someone else’s kitchen.
Hope these lists guide you a bit in getting the person that takes your kids off your hands so you can get errands done alone (and yes, make them intelligent people as well), something special! 😉